COOK MACEWAN.. I wanted to give some recipes that include Bioflavonoid’s and dishes that are suitable for eating on the move and that are quick to prepare . We were introduced to the thought that we should take Bioflavonoid’s supplements by Dr Karen Herbst at our Big Meet recently. Bioflavonoid’s are super-antioxidants and are found in many natural foods like Red Peppers or Sweet Peppers, Strawberries, Citrus Fruits, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts Tropical Fruits (Mangoes and Papayas) Garlic, Spinach, Teas.'
Cook MacEwan's Bio Flavonoid Recipies
Bio Flavonoid Recipies
BAKED RICOTTA MUFFINS
These can be made the night before and kept in Fridge and eaten cold the next day I make all sort of combinations of savoury muffins replace the spinach and chives with other combinations i.e. Bacon and Parsley, Red Pepper and Olive
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1tablespoon pine nuts
100gm baby spinach leaves
250gm ricotta cheese
1 Egg, beaten
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 200°C /Gas mark 6
• Fry garlic in the olive oil, until soft and fragrant and add pine nuts (watch they don’t burn)
• Add the spinach stir until wilted (I do sometimes use frozen spinach here drop a couple of blocks in)
• Now leave mix to cool
• Mix the egg, cheese and chives until smooth and add the spinach mixture , mix some more
• Oil your muffin tray
• Divide evenly between the muffin cups and place in Oven
• Bake for 15 minutes until puffed and brown.
• Allow to cool slightly before attempting to remove them from the tray.
RED PEPPER AND CHORIZO PRONTO
A great quick lunch or Tea. I sometimes do a cold version for my lunch box. My sons used to love Chorizo too so this was always a family favourite for Tea mixed with Pasta for them of course.
1 fennel bulb
1 small onion
1 small red pepper
50gm chorizo sausage ( you can buy two types I preferred the cooked version as I can use it in salads as well)
50gm manchengo cheese
• Slice fennel, onion and red pepper finely
• Cut chorizo into chunks
• Cut manchego cheese into chunks
• Fry the sliced fennel, onion and red pepper in a little Olive Oil and butter until softened and golden
• Add chorizo to pan, stir and fry until the sausage is heated through
• Sprinkle over the manchego cheese and allow to melt in the pan
Serve immediately or cool for a lunch box
STRAWBERRY AND VANILLA SMOOTHIE
This a good breakfast option or as treat throughout the day (carries well in a thermos flask for breakfast on the move)
240ml of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
75gms of fresh strawberries ( I sometimes use frozen here )
½ teaspoon of cinnamon. (cinnamon is great for controlling blood sugars)
1 tablespoon of flaked almonds
1 teaspoon of chia seeds (the new super food you will find them in wholefood shops. They also balance blood sugar and are a good source of Omega 3 oil too ).
• Put everything in the blender and blitz!!!! till smooth.